Neuroscience Hands-on Teaching Workshop
November 8-10th, 2019, Tucson, Arizona
This workshop was organized by Ulises Ricoy and Veronica Acosta at the University of Arizona in Tuscon. The workshop was a collaborative development of thoughts and ideas around using low-cost equipment and preparations accessible to Universities and Colleges with research infrastructure. ‘Instructors’ brought their expertise with equipment and preparation while ‘attendees’ contributed real-life checks on what can be done.
The work begun during the 2019 Workshop, to bring Neuroscience to the Classroom, continues. An example of the team’s flexible and creative approach, they tried to work through the patellare reflex demonstration, but when they encountered difficulties, they redesigned it into an Achilles tendon exercise. Check it out under Outreach Resources.
At a future date, we expect Neuroscience to the Classroom to include teaching resources, information on low-cost equipment, and information about an exciting new high-impedance amplifier.
Attendees in 2019:
- Anne Baumgartner, Adjunct Professor, Department of Natural and Physical Sciences, Northwest Vista College, San Antonio, TX
- Erica Cain, Assistant Professor of Biology, Northeast Lakeview College, San Antonio, TX
- Marina Cholanian, Adjunct Faculty, Pima Community College, Tucson, AZ
- Alex Martinez, Assistant Professor of Biology, University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX
- Ernesto Perez, Adjunct Faculty at Palo Alto College, San Antonio, TX
- Dominique Pritchett, Assistant Professor of Biology, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
- Jarret Richardson, Assistant Professor of Neuroscience, Neuroscience Program Director, Centenary College of Louisiana, Shreveport, LA
- Allyson Roof, Lecturer, Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Steffie Tomson, Visiting Professor, Anatomy & Physiology, Neuroscience, University of St. Thomas, Houston, TX
- Philip Vieira, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, California State University, Dominguez Hills, Carson, CA
- Arturo Zavala, Associate Professor of Psychology, California State University, Long Beach, CA
(Banner image is from Backyard Brains a cosponsor of this workshop)